List:       perl-xml
Subject:    Problems with lc and uc using utf-8
From:       Jan Romportl <rompi_news () post ! cz>
Date:       2005-03-11 10:12:46

Hello everyone,

could anybody give me a hint how to solve the following problem?

When I try this:

#!/usr/bin/perl
use locale;
$aaa = "...."; # specific lowercase central European character (e.g. with
special punctuation)
$bbb = uc($aaa);
print "$aaa\n$bbb\n";

the uc function doesn't convert any characters with central European specific
punctuation (vice versa using lc is with the same problem). Once, when I used
iso-8859-2 encoding instead, it all worked fine.

Do I do something wrong?

I use Suse 9.2 with perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 5).
LC_ALL = cs_CZ.UTF-8
LANG = cs_CZ.UTF-8

Thanks a lot

J.R.