List:       perl-xml
Subject:    proposal: XML::Shorthand
From:       Ronan Oger <ronan () roasp ! com>
Date:       2003-11-20 12:13:25

Hi,

I'm thinking of releasing XML::Shorthand to CPAN and would like some feedback.

I built the SVG modules around a shorthand version of the XML DOM tree that
uses a streamlined, small-footprint version in order to maximise speed and
decrease line count on my code (lazyness and hubris...). The modules support
the full DOM command set, have a parser implementation, and are fairly fast
(I benchmarked them at 12,000 elements/second on a 500MHz/512MB Ram linux
server about year ago).

Since then, I've ended up using the SVG module to perform a number of other
XML tasks for clients (usually centered around parsing or generating simple
XML content).

For a quick look at what is provided, take a look at SVG::Manual on CPAN.

Because it seems to be a backwards approach to use a module designed for a
specific vocabulary of XML (SVG) to generate general XML, I've been thinking
for some time about extracting the generic part of the SVG module and
building a generic XML set of modules

Does anyone have any comments/objections to this lazy guy's XML module?

And what should it be called?

XML::Lazy
XML::Shorthand
XML::Ronan
XML::Tiny

Points of view and feedback would be highly apprciated.

Ronan

--
Ronan Oger
http://www.roasp.com