List:       perl-xml
Subject:    Re: Schema validation: how close?
From:       Sam Tregar <sam () tregar ! com>
Date:       2003-11-06 6:09:28

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Forrest Cahoon wrote:

> To get around that, I took the common schema and pasted its contents in to
> replace the include tag.  This led me to my final error:
>
> Can't call method "derive" on an undefined value at
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.0/XML/Validator/Schema/SimpleTypeNode.pm line 56.

Well, that certainly shouldn't happen!  Can you send me the schema
file you used which generated this error?

> Now, I know XML::Validator::Schema is a work in progress and that
> the W3C Schema spec is a complicated beast, but I'm wondering how
> huge the hurdles I've just described are likely to be.

Adding support for 'qualified' and 'include' would be fairly easy for
someone with the necessary background.  However, it's likely that the
SEC schemas are using other unsupported syntax since the subset that
XML::Validator::Schema supports is pretty small.

> Is this a version or two down the road, or is it light-years away?

I guess that depends on how much free time you have!
XML::Validator::Schema does everything I need it to, so I'm not
particularly motivated to develop it at the moment.  However, I'd be
happy to help you get started adding the features you need.

-sam