List:       perl-win32-web
Subject:    RE: Unloading Win32 DLL's
From:       Jim Schueler <jschueler () tqis ! com>
Date:       2002-12-13 21:47:49

Forgive me for cross-posting.  Please advise if one or the other forum is more
appropriate to this discussion.

> But I just got chewed out by a web administrator for not coding my DLL's
> to automatically unload.  I understand that once IIS loads a control, it's
> persistently loaded; and that .Net addresses this shortcoming.  Naturally,
> .Net is not installed on this server.

I have nearly convinced myself that a loaded control cannot be released
without restarting IIS.  However, I would like to follow up witn another
question regarding a possible workaround.

In ActiveState's perlctrl template, the following comment describes the
TypeLib property ControlVer:

        ControlVer      => 1,  # increment if new object with same ProgID
                               # create new GUIDs as well

It seems that if I increment the ControlVer, replace the GUIDs, and
reregister, the Windows registry will map the ProgID to the revised control.
Since asp does late binding on the ProgID, the revised control would be
loaded after reregistering.  Then IIS has both the old and new control
simultaneously loaded, but only the new one is binded (?) to the ProgID
in the asp pages.

I won't have a chance to test this theory until Monday.  In the meantime,
can anyone confirm my understanding of the ControlVer property?

 -Jim