List:       perl-win32-users
Subject:    Re: Printing to a file while socket is open..
From:       "$Bill Luebkert" <dbe () wgn ! net>
Date:       2001-05-31 20:34:34

Craig S Monroe wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am a newbie to the list and have a question. I have searched for an answer
> through the
> docs, but cannot seem to locate a resolution.
>
> I have written a script that opens a socket to a particular device,
> and issues it commands.  I would then like it to write the results to a
> file, wait, then issue the
> commands again and append the results to the same file.
>
> My issue:
>
> I am having difiiculty writing the output to a file.
> The file is created, but nothing is written and the script hangs.
> It worked previously, when I had the script close the socket, then write the
> results, but I need to keep it open.
>
> I have really hacked up the script(indecision on items) so please look past
> the rubble. It will be cleaned up when it is done.
> I have enclosed the portion of the script. The part I am having difficulty
> with
> is toward the end when printing to DATAFILE.

>  open(DATAFILE,">>$dataFile")||
>   die "cannot append to $dataFile : $!";

You could unbuffer the output to the file here (the below maintains
STDOUT as the selected FH):

	select ((select (DATAFILE), $| = 1)[0]);

  ,-/-  __      _  _         $Bill Luebkert   ICQ=14439852
 (_/   /  )    // //       DBE Collectibles   http://www.todbe.com/
  / ) /--<  o // //      Mailto:dbe@todbe.com http://dbecoll.webjump.com/
-/-' /___/_<_</_</_    http://www.freeyellow.com/members/dbecoll/