List:       perl-win32-users
Subject:    Re: Perl version and modules DOWN SYSTEM
From:       Jan Dubois <JanD () ActiveState ! com>
Date:       2001-05-31 15:03:07

On Thu, 31 May 2001 09:47:26 -0500, "Purcell, Scott"
<spurcell@ltcgroup.com> wrote:

>I installed the newest version of ActiveState Perl this morning.
>5.6.1.626-MSWin32-x86multi-thread. But in doing so, it appears that none of
>my old modules worked, so jumping to conclusions, I uninstalled the old
>version, and re-installed the new one. So to make a long story short, I lost
>all my Modules.

All the 6xx build should be binary compatible.  You should not install a
6xx build on top of a 5xx installation though, which is mentioned in the
release notes.

>I do not have PPM access because of our firewall, etc. so I go to the
>www.activestate.com/packages/zips, but when I go I have to choose between
>5xx eg active perl 522 or 6xx active perl 623. Which ones do I choose? This
>is confusing.

Since you installed ActivePerl build 626, it seems kind of obvious to me
to use the 6xx repository, not the 5xx one.  I don't know how we could
make this clearer.  Maybe it's the stress of users calling... :)

-Jan