List:       perl-win32-users
Subject:    Re: Installation
From:       "James Macfarlane" <james.macfarlane () friendsivoryandsime ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-10-31 15:34:08

If you make this registry change to run doperl.bat instead of perl.exe for .pl files, then it will also affect perl scripts run from the command line. All command line scripts would then pause for user input before proceeding. I don't think this would be appropriate for the default ActiveState installation. ;-)

Have you noticed the new wPerl.exe in the 6xx series? Found out what it does yet? On NT you can type:

ftype plwfile=wperl.exe "%1" %*
assoc .plw=plwfile

and rename your files from .pl to .plw.

James

Ralf Lister wrote:

> The problem: When I run the sample PERL-script (print "Welcome to
> ActivePerl") or any other PERL-script in the samples place (eg/example.pl),
> the output is displayed only a tenth of a second (or so). How can I fix this?

This is a pet peeve of mine...

Unless you pause the program with

print "Hit Return to continue ..."; <STDIN>;

the DOS window will vanish immediately after execution.
And if you have a syntax error in your program
(who does not?) even the above line will be of no help to you.

I think the default (after installation) way of running a perl
script on Win 32 should be to wrap it in a batch file like so:

doperl.bat
----------
c:\perl\bin\perl.exe  "%1" %*
@pause
----------

If the above file is in place in c:\perl\bin
and the registry is configured to invoke:

c:\perl\bin\doperl.bat  "%1"  %*

rather than

c:\perl\bin\perl.exe  "%1"  %*

then the program will always pause allowing you
to see what happened even if there is a syntax error.

Perhaps have a different suffix (and a separate registry
entry) for invoking perl.exe directly???

And how about a registry entry for editing perl programs
in notepad.exe??????   That would help new people understand
that perl programs are pure text files.

Jon

P.S.  I am not a DOS expert so I'm not exactly
sure what that "%1"  %* is.  Something about
command line parameters.

This e-mail is private and confidential and may be legally privileged.
It is intended for recipients only and access by others is unauthorised.
It is not intended to be relied upon without subsequent written
confirmation of its contents.  Accordingly Friends Ivory & Sime plc,
its subsidiaries and its associated company Ivory & Sime TrustLink Ltd
disclaim all responsibility and accept no liability (including in
negligence) for the consequences of any person acting, or refraining
from acting, on such information prior to the receipt by those persons
of subsequent written confirmation. If you are not the intended recipient,
any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be
taken in reliance on the information in this e-mail is prohibited and may be
unlawful.

If you have received this e-mail message in error please also notify
our Compliance Department at compliance@friendsis.com.  Please delete
this message from your computer and destroy any copies which have been
made.

Friends Ivory & Sime plc, its subsidiaries (detailed below) and its associated company,
Ivory & Sime TrustLink Ltd are part of the Friends Provident Group.

Friends Ivory & Sime plc
Registered in Scotland, Company No. 73508
Regulated in the UK by IMRO and in the USA by the SEC.

Ivory & Sime TrustLink Ltd
Registered in Scotland, Company No. 151198
Regulated in the UK by the Personal Investment Authority

Friends Ivory & Sime, Inc is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Friends Ivory &
Sime plc and is regulated in the USA by the SEC.

Friends Ivory & Sime Trust Company is a wholly-owned subsidiary of
Friends Ivory & Sime plc and is regulated in the USA by NYSBD.

Ivory & Sime (Asia) Limited is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Friends Ivory
& Sime plc and is regulated in Hong Kong by the SFC.

The registered office of Friends Ivory & Sime plc is
One Charlotte Square, Edinburgh, EH2 4DZ
Telephone 0131 465 1000

The full email disclaimer, which includes addresses and telephone
numbers for each of the above subsidiary companies, can be
obtained by emailing disclaimer@friendsis.com