List:       perl-win32-users
Subject:    RE: Help With Site Cfg.
From:       "Joe Schell" <jschell () peakss ! com>
Date:       2000-09-28 21:14:56

> Behalf Of Purcell, Scott
>

> Hello,
>
> I have a very strange situation, and was hoping one of you may
> have an idea
> of how I can resolve this.
>
> I have a "Asset Management" system all in Perl, and is web based. It is
> quite large, but I have built templating into the code.
>
> For the last two years, I have ran under a certain url: eg.
> "http://www.vb.vision-bank.com"
> In that site, the index.htm would take it over to my cgi directory of
> "http://www.vb.vision-bank.com/main/vb.pl" to grab my perl file and start
> reading it. Everyone was happy. :-)
>
> Anyway, now I have been told that we will be customizing sites for users:
> Basically giving each customer their own unique URL.
> eg. http://www.customersite1.vb.vision-bank.com"
> eg. http://www.customersite2.vb.vision-bank.com"
>
> But my problem is I want to only have one "code" base. Since I have
> templating built into my perl files. My site starts off with a login page
> and when they hit submit, then it kicks over to a cgi script. But I am
> having trouble. It appears that each site wants its own set of code in its
> doc root. Is there anyway to get around this?
>

> Also, the the management was wondering if I could somehow supress the part
> of the url "/main/vb.pl" from the URL.  Is that possible?
>
> I know this is quite a mountain of data, but if anyone has time,
> or wouldn't
> mind assisting me, I would be greatly appreciated.

Lets try an easy solution first, since your explanation could imply
something that might require more work.

Lets presume that the only change going on here is that the customers will
now be using their own url.  Let me emphasise that.  The ONLY change is the
url.  If you  are giving customers access to the web site to create content
that can be a different problem.

So for the simple solution.

A url is an address not a phyiscal location.  So you just specify that each
url goes to your script.  To handle multiple urls your web server is going
to have to be able to do this anyway.

So everything you do now stays the same.