List:       perl-win32-users
Subject:    RE: ActivePerl 5.10.0 Build 1003 released
From:       "Jan Dubois" <jand () activestate ! com>
Date:       2008-05-21 0:16:41

On Sun, 18 May 2008, Sisyphus wrote:
> On Sat, 17 May 2008, "Jan Dubois" <jand@activestate.com> wrote:
> > ActiveState is pleased to announce ActivePerl 5.10.0 Build 1003
>
> There's a minor nit with building modules on this build of perl. If
> Math::BigInt::GMP is not installed, you'll get the following message every
> time you run nmake/dmake:
>
> Math::BigInt: couldn't load specified math lib(s), fallback to
> Math::BigInt::FastCalc at C:/ap1003/lib/Win32API/File.pm line 20
>
> Everything still works ok - it's just a little mystifying when you first see
> it, that's all.
>
> It's all because of this code in Win32API/File.pm (version 0.1001 only,
> afaict):
>
> # Math::BigInt optimizations courtesy of Tels
> BEGIN {
>  require Math::BigInt;
>  if (defined($Math::BigInt::VERSION) && $Math::BigInt::VERSION >= 1.60) {
>      Math::BigInt->import(lib => 'GMP');
>  }
> }
>
> My other builds of perl 5.10.0 (and a recent 5.11.0 snapshot) have version
> 0.1001_01 which doesn't try to load Math::BigInt::GMP and therefore doesn't
> throw up that message. I guess the simple solution is for ActiveState to
> avoid version 0.1001 in future releases.
>
> I see the problem has already been reported at
> http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Dist/Display.html?Name=Win32API-File (6 months
> ago) and that future releases of Win32API-File will address this issue. I'm
> not sure where version 0.1001_01 comes from, but I guess it is one such
> "future release".
>
> I don't recall seeing the message with build 1002, so I'm guessing it used
> version 0.1001_01 and that somehow version 0.1001 has found its way into
> build 1003.

Yes, version 0.1001 is the latest version from CPAN, and it crept into the
build because all libwin32 modules are now bundled individually by name and
not as a bundle.  For some reason Win32API-File got added to the list, even
though it wasn't a libwin32 module anymore.

The difference between 0.1001 and 0.1001_01 is just this warning messages,
so there is no real problem with the release beyond the additional noise
it makes.  Too bad we didn't catch this during testing... :(

Cheers,
-Jan