List:       perl-win32-users
Subject:    Error:1503 The service did not respond to the start or control re
From:       "Hernandez, Pedro (Merant)" <Pedro.Hernandez () m ! eads ! net>
Date:       2003-11-26 15:16:13

Hi all,

Yes, I am another one trying to start a service from SCM that was created
using Win32::Daemon or Win32::Daemon::Simple, and getting the message
	Error:1503 The service did not respond to the start or control
request in  a timely fashion

My application connects to an Oracle database using Win32::ODBC, and then do
some processing with  the data. The whole processing might take several
hours.
I intend to run that application twice a day using the Windows service
mechanism. For that I have written a Perl script that calls my application
and  manages the installation + start + stop + pause of the service.

I have done several tests with both Win32::Daemon or Win32::Daemon::Simple
and the results were obviously a bit worrying.

When I built the service using Win32::Daemon I was only able to start the
service from SCM when I replaced any calls to my application ("use Myappl;"
and "Myappl::start")  by "sleep 3". I also managed to start the service when
I invoked my application from the perl script using "system("myappl");".

The results I obtained using Win32::Daemon::Simple were not any better as I
expected. As bebore I am only able to start the service from SCM when I
removed references to my application or instead invoked my application using
"system("myappl");".

In both cases, once the service is installed, I am able to run my
application from command line when it is called from the Perl script that
manages the services.

There seems to be a "timing" condition that affects the proper start-up of a
service from the SCM.
Anybody has the "magic" recipe to fix this issue.
By the way, I am working on Windows 2000 (SP3).
Pedro

["Hernandez, Pedro (Merant).vcf" (application/octet-stream)]