List:       perl-win32-users
Subject:    RE: Unsure How To Automate
From:       "Michael Erskine" <Michael.Erskine () JASMIN ! PLC ! UK>
Date:       2003-06-30 15:39:59

> 	Be careful on this path, since the author is not around
> any more ( disappeared or at least I have never heard what
> happened to him). I use it but it is a very static
> environment and if you have problems there is no source
> available unless someone has it and then I would love to get
> a hold of it.
>
> 	So be warned of this path.
>
> Wags ;)

I have successfully used Win32::AdvNotify with ActiveState 5.6 compiled
to an executable with perl2exe and run as an NT scheduled task on Win2K
& NT4 to watch directories and upload new files to an FTP server. It
works OK for the frequency of changes I have: i.e. 1 rename operation
every 5 seconds. If using perl2exe there is an edit required to
site/lib/AdvNotify.pm. I have also noted a memory leak in AdvNotify - I
tend to work around it with a restart of my app every 24hrs. I have not
been able to get AdvNotify to work within a service hence the scheduled
task. I'd be happy to post the code. I would also like to get my hands
on the source -- its almost certainly just a thin wrapper to the Win32
FindFirstChangeNotification function with a table of files and their
states.

Regards,

Michael.