List:       perl-win32-users
Subject:    Using Perl & OpenSSL to start a CA
From:       "Mark Pryor" <mpryor () sprintmail ! com>
Date:       2002-03-31 4:55:05

Hi List,

Subject:
    Using Perl & OpenSSL to start a Certificate Authority

Some list members here may already have Versign or Thawte
Certificates to do SMIME with their Mail/News App. For those
who don't, read on ...

I know about the Thawte Freemail Program, but it turns out to
be fairly simple to request Email Certificates that will work in
Outlook/Outlook Express using OpenSSL. I use a Win32
build of OpenSSL built by Randy Kobes found here...

    http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/pub/other   (perl-win32-bin-0_7.exe) 14MB

Yes I put aside ActiveState perl for awhile, but it was fun. OpenSSL
has a PerlScript, CA.pl that will do most of the command line calls to
OpenSSL.exe necessary to request a Certificate/Key_Pair.

I had a lot of fun going through this--I had to share it. Maybe it
would be a thrill for others too.

cheers,
Mark Pryor

ICQ 64329574
Pgp KeyID: 0x1A966EC5

["smime.p7s" (application/x-pkcs7-signature)]