List:       perl-win32-admin
Subject:    Archives and (un)subscribing
From:       amonotod <amonotod () netscape ! net>
Date:       2000-07-27 8:59:17

Hello, everyone...

Archives:
  I keep seeing everyone post about needing historical posts.  I have an
archive of the Admin list back through 13 Sept 1999.  I also have an arch=
ive
of the Database (digest form) list back through 9 Feb 2000.  However, the=
se
posts are stuck in an Outlook inbox, and I _suck_ at OLE programming. =

Therefore, I have no reasonable way to extract them (There is no way I am=

going to manually extract every message!).  If someone will post *working=
*
code to extract messages from a sub-folder in Outlook, I would be most ha=
ppy
to extract and either post on my website, or send the lot to ActiveState,=
 for
inclusion in the archives.

  If you want to do it, I do have a few parameters:  =

    Only the following should be extracted:
     Sender
     Subject
     Date
     Message
     (i.e.:  No one really needs to see what my subscribe email address i=
s,
nor do they want to wade through all the SMTP headers, right?)
    Save each message as a separate text file, I will zip them up and mak=
available via one of methods I stated above.  Don't forget, there are a f=
ew
schmucks who post using HTML and/or Rich Text, it's up to the code poster=
(not) extract the tags.
    Taglines:  The older messages have an ActiveState tagline starting wi=
th
"\n\n---\n", and the newer messages have a tagline of
"\n\n_______________________________________________\n".  Extra points fo=
killing the tagline.

<soap_box>
(Un)Subscribing
  For those that would care to know, the first message every subscriber
receives is the List Charter.  Two of the first 10 lines in this message =
are
as follows:

***Save this message for future reference***
** Charter for Perl-Win32 Mailing Lists **

  That first line is pretty important, as the message details what the li=
st is
for, how to use it, and how to change your subscription options.  I have
included section "4.0 list Processor Commands" below my signature, please=
 read
this if you are considering unsubscribing.  I am sure that everyone else =
is
just as amused/bemused/irratated as I am about all the "Unsubscribe me"
messages being posted to the list lately.
</soap_box>

Later,
amonotod, who speaks only for himself, even if insinuated otherwise.
amonotod@netscape.net

4.0 list Processor Commands

NOTICE:

The following applies to all mailing lists except for Perl-Win32-J.

We recommend using the Lyris Web Interface to create and manange your
mailing list account(s). You can visit the Web interface at            =

                                                                     =

http://www.activestate.com/lyris/lyris.pl

You can also create and manage your mailing list account(s) via your emai=
client. Please continue reading the following paragraphs.

The command must be in the FIRST line of the message that you send
to the list sever otherwise it will be ignored.  All other lines
in your mail message will be ignored. Substitute (List Name) with the
list name (Perl-Win32-Announce, Perl-Win32-Users, Perl-Win32-Web,
Perl-Win32-Admin, Perl-Win32-Database, Perl-Win32-Porters, PerlEx, =

Perl-Debugger).

4.1 How to get on a list
To get on the (List Name) list, send email to
Lyris@ActiveState.com with the message:

SUBSCRIBE (List Name)

4.2 How to get a digest version
A digest of the lists is created once a day and mailed to everyone who =

joined as DIGEST. Note that a particular email address can only be NORMAL=
 =

or DIGEST, it cannot be both. If you want both, then subscribe with a =

different email alias to one of the modes. To get on the digest version o=
f =

the (List Name) list follow the instructions in section 4.1 and then send=
 =

an email to Lyris@ActiveState.com with the message:

   SET (List Name) DIGEST =

4.3 How to get an index version
An index version sends a daily email with only the subject
lines for that day. To get the index version of the (List Name) list
follow the instructions in section 4.1 and then send an email to =

Lyris@ActiveState.com with the message:

   SET (List Name) INDEX

4.4 How to get a nomail version
A nomail version allows members to not receive mail from the list.
To get the nomail version of the (List Name) list
follow the instructions in section 4.1 and then send an email to =

Lyris@ActiveState.com with the message:

   SET (List Name) NOMAIL

4.5 How to get off the list
To get off the (List Name) list, send email to
Lyris@ActiveState.com with the message:

   UNSUBSCRIBE (List Name)

4.6 If you stop getting mail
If you stop receiving mail from the list, you may have been
automatically removed because of bounced messages.
You are not being picked on just rejoin the list.

4.7 How to get help
To get help, send a blank email to =

help-(List Name)@lyris.ActiveState.com

***This Address is not for questions on how to use Perl.***
As a last resort, a real person can be reached at
ListHelp@ActiveState.com. Please read the help files before
using this e-mail address. This address is only for support
related to the Mailing Lists.

4.8 How to get Charter information
To get the Charter, send a blank email to =

charter@lyris.activestate.com

4.9 Additional list processor commands and features
Substitute (List Name) with the list name (Perl-Win32-Announce,
Perl-Win32-Users, Perl-Win32-Web, Perl-Win32-Admin,
Perl-Win32-Database, Perl-Win32-Porters, PerlEx, Perl-Debugger).
More than one command can be given at a time.

UNSUBSCRIBE (List Name) <old-email-address>
If your email address has changed since you joined, you
can append your original email address.

Has been added to the mail headers of list messages. This
can be useful in filtering messages from the lists.

This is the address that the ListManager is using to send
the email to. If you are having trouble unsubscribing check
to see that the address you are unsubscribing is the same
as the X-listmember address.