List:       perl-win32-admin
Subject:    Re: ACL Security On Windows Systems
From:       wagnerc () plebeian ! com (Chris Wagner)
Date:       2005-08-19 23:11:05

Actually the Win32::Perms module works very well.  It's probably more
"supported" than the other security modules out there.  As far as the
generic permissions shown in an Explorer window goes, those don't really
exist.  All those fancy names are just made up of the basic elements of
RWXA.  It's gloss.  Forget they exist.  There are some good example scripts
on roth.net on how to decode and display the permissions.

At 12:41 PM 8/19/05 -0700, Ryan Speight wrote:
>What I am looking for is the standard security settings:
>
>Full Control
>Modify
>Read & Execute
>List Folder Contents
>Read
>Write
>
>and not the:
>
>        DELETE
>        READ_CONTROL
>        WRITE_DAC
>        WRITE_OWNER
>        SYNCHRONIZE
>        STANDARD_RIGHTS_REQUIRED
>        STANDARD_RIGHTS_READ
>        STANDARD_RIGHTS_WRITE
>        STANDARD_RIGHTS_EXECUTE
>        STANDARD_RIGHTS_ALL
>        READ
>        CHANGE
>        ADD
>        FULL
>        ADD & READ
>
>Which is all I can seem to get returned.  The reason the above will not
work is because the mask id is the same for different combinations of the
Standard NTFS permissions.  i.e. Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Read
has the same results as just Read.

--
REMEMBER THE WORLD TRADE CENTER         ---=< WTC 911 >=--
"...ne cede males"

00000100