List:       perl-win32-admin
Subject:    Any help appreciated - unusual cookie request
From:       "Norris, Joseph" <NorrisJ () mcdss ! org>
Date:       2002-09-26 19:57:33

Here is the situation: I am on an network of windows boxes with apache
running on one of the boxes. I have my web apps there with perl/mysql etc..
I want to build a script that will be run in the users login script that
will take the username via $ENV{USERNAME} and build a cookie do a request to
the server so that the cookie will be built on the users box containing the
user's USERNAME, so that I can use cgi->cookie and know who is there. What I
have attempted so far. I have a cookie built on the opening page of my
intranet site. The cookie contains a bogus value. In the login script I had
a script that runs out and finds the cookie file no matter where it is on
the user's disk, slurps it and writes it back out with the $ENV{USERNAME}. I
use all the same delimiters for records etc and the file looks exactly the
same (or so I think) as the original cookie file. However the browser spots
the different fast - won't access the cookie and then trashes even when I
set expire to 01/01/2045. Any and all observations appreciated.