List:       perl-win32-admin
Subject:    RE: View service pack
From:       Steinar Skjelanger <steinar () skjelanger ! com>
Date:       2002-01-22 20:20:58

If the script is run as a Domain Admin on the desktop (e.g. using the RunAs
utility in Win2k), permissions shouldn't be a problem, and qchain.exe from
MS makes the patch order a little less important. But I think something
like this should be possible:

1. Copy the hotfix (or whatever) to c:\temp on the remote computer
2. Make the hotfix executable run on the remote computer, with command line
parameters that make it install without user interaction.
3. Reboot (if neccessary) the remote computer with shutdown.exe from
Resource Kit or similar.

1 and 3 is pretty straightforward, but number 2 is the problem. I know it's
possible, and it's probably not _that_ difficult. The question is: can it
be done in Perl?

Regards,

Steinar Skjelanger