List:       perl-unicode
Subject:    Re: loading necessary module to Interpreter
From:       Martin Hosken <martin_hosken () sil ! org>
Date:       2008-09-11 13:11:29

Dear Gemma,

> I have downloaded ActiveState for windows, and cannot get scripts to run other then \
> the perl -v and perl -h command. The hello program was saved to the desktop in a \
> folder called "perlscripts".  The commands typed in the console window are as \
> follows. cd \desktop
> cd \perlscripts
> perl hello.pl

(I'm assuming you didn't have \ in those cd commands and that when you do dir you can \
see hello.pl)

> This outputs the hello.pl script text file instead of just "hello world".
> The example.pl script in ActivePerl will not output anything.
> When the command "perl -w perlscipts" is run, the following error is:
> "panic: utf16_to_utf8: odd bytelen 47 at hello.pl line1."

Well the error looks logical in that *if* hello.pl is in UTF16 (which I doubt. But \
did you open it in Notepad and then save it again?) then since it takes 2 bytes for \
each character, having 47 bytes on a line is just wrong. Perhaps loading hello.pl \
into Notepad and then making a minor change (add a space to a line and then delete it \
to 'dirty' the file) then hit save, will sort it out.

> I have been advised this looks like a user error, and that Perl will handle UTF \
> character sets, but it needs to prepared before it encounters them, that the error \
> message looks like what results when you pass UTF data to a Perl that has not had \
> the necessary module loaded into the interpreter. Could anyone advise where I could \
> find the necessary module and how to load it to the interpreter? or how I could \
> work around this.

If you want to dig deeper into this then you can read the perlunicode docs in the \
activestate documentation. But since this is your first program you are trying to \
run, let's get you up and going before you dive into deep water. This should be a \
walk on the beach not a scramble over the rocks.

If you are still having problems, can you attach hello.pl with your reply so we can \
see what is going on (perhaps zip it so it comes in binary, if you can do that).

HTH,
GB,
Martin