List:       perl-qa
Subject:    =?windows-1252?Q?Re=3A_=5BESSAY=5D_=93Writing_tests=2C_motherfuc?= =?windows-1252?Q?ker!=94?=
From:       Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff () imaginative-software ! com>
Date:       2013-01-30 0:36:54

On Jan 26, 2013, at 1:13 AM, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> However, now I feel that trying to
> philosophise about the distinction between all those is not so useful =
for the
> people who are actually trying to write the tests.

+1000

I once had fervent debates with colleagues about whether something was a =
"unit test" or "integration test" or "acceptance test".  I always felt =
the distinction was pointless, but now I understand why it happened.

Unit tests were regarded as the developer's realm.  Integration tests =
are the build engineer's responsibility.  And acceptance tests might =
belong to QA.  So labeling tests serves as a means for allocating work =
(and blame).

Fortunately, I've seen more and more organizations dismantle their QA =
teams completely.  Quality is everyone's responsibility.

Now, somebody, just write the damn test :)

-Jeff=