List:       perl-qa
Subject:    Re: Should MANIFEST go in the repository?
From:       Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-08-21 5:19:47

* Michael G Schwern <schwern@pobox.com> [2008-08-21 01:50]:
> is it worth the administrative effort

The administrative effort of all of three commands? (Switch
branch then merge, plus check in – with the usual release
procedure being performed inbetween, prior to check-in.)

> just to keep trunk "clean" of one generated file?

As I indicated by "idle musing," I was thinking in general terms
about the keep-everything vs ignore-generated debate. If it's
only `MANIFEST`, the overhead of that particular approach is
wasted, no doubt.

> It also presumes that the generated files aren't of any use
> to day to day development.

No it doesn't, each branch can keep a different list in
`.fooignore`.

Regards,