List:       perl-mailbox
Subject:    Re: Compressed Mail
From:       Tony Bowden <tony-mbox () kasei ! com>
Date:       2002-10-22 11:33:07

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 11:09:19AM +0200, Mark Overmeer wrote:
>   if($box =~ m/\.gz/)
>   {    `gzip -d <$box >/tmp/xyz`;
>        $box = '/tmp/xyz';
>   }
>   my $folder = $mgr->open($box);

Interesting approach. Would it be possible / sensible to do this
actually within Mail::Box::Manager::open() ?

> If you have time and courage, please implement one/both of these for
> the sake of every other user of Mail::Box.

What I might try for now is to write a subclass of Mail::Box::Manager
which does something akin to the above and see how it pans out.

If it works I'll send it through and see what people think about the
best approach for extending it out to more general usage. I assume there
need to be some sort of 'now gzip it back up and move it back to the
original location' command for when you're done, if you were planning to
be able to write to the box as well...

Thanks,

Tony