List:       perl-ldap-dev
Subject:    Re: Retrieving a specific DN
From:       Chris Ridd <chris.ridd () messagingdirect ! com>
Date:       2001-05-23 7:26:54

Christoph Neumann <enigma@apu.edu> wrote:
> Brian,
>
> That is the "official" way to retrieve a specific DN.  What I have never
> understood is why I needed to specify a filter if I'm doing a
> "base" search.  I'm sure there is some good explanation for that.

Well, all searches *require* filters, so that's one (sort of) reason.
Another reason is you may need to be able to ask does an entry match some
expression eg (&(userid=cjr)(telephoneNumber=999)). You can't do that using
other operations like compare.

Life would perhaps be simpler if LDAP had a read operation like DAP, but
remember the L in LDAP stands for Lightweight :-) and unfortunately that
means the application must work a bit harder to compensate :-(

Cheers,

Chris