List:       perl-ldap-dev
Subject:    Re: Dumping Net::LDAP::Entry to a string
From:       Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah () zimbra ! com>
Date:       2010-02-16 17:58:32

--On Monday, February 15, 2010 2:21 PM -0600 Christopher Bongaarts
<cab@umn.edu> wrote:

> Graham Barr wrote:

>>> Only in perl >= 5.8.  Perl 5.6 and earlier won't support this syntax,
>>> so  I would advise against using this to implement and ldif() method
>>> unless you are OK with breaking compatibility with older perls...
>>
>> 5.8.0 was released nearly 8 years ago. Anyone who is still using a
>> version of perl that old will not mind using an old version of Net::LDAP
>> IMO.

I disagree with this statement. ;)  RHEL4, for example, ships with perl
5.8.5, and remains one of the most widely deployed Linux distributions in
the corporate environment.  Not to stop the march of progress or anything,
as 5.10+ modules are growing, but there will be people who mind.  We build
our own perl module stack for shipping with Zimbra because we need to know
the modules behave consistently across all OSes and to resolve bugs we've
hit with with the vendor distributed versions.  For Net::LDAP, I will have
to peg it at whatever is the last release that works with 5.8 which is
fine, since I have no known issues with it at this point.  But there's
probably someone who'll not like the change. ;)

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer