List:       perl-ldap-dev
Subject:    Re: Net::LDAP::LDIF patch
From:       Gergely_Sánta <Gergely_Santa () tempest ! sk>
Date:       2007-05-07 6:57:39

Chris Ridd wrote:
> On 4/5/07 6:34, "Webb, Andy" <Andy.Webb@swinc.com> wrote:
>
>> So, couldn't you just always request in the search that the DN or CN be
>> returned as one of the attributes?  If the entry is found, you're going
>> to get the DN of the entry as the record identifier, then getting the DN
>> (or CN) again as an attribute becomes just a throwaway, but solves the
>> problem of producing or consuming bad LDIF.

The problem is, that I do not request the LDAP for entries (actually I
do, but not in the module, where I need the patch). I use
Net::LDAP::LDIF for converting LDIF buffers to Net::LDAP::Entry objects,
so there may be situations, that entries, which was requested from LDAP
somewhere else, do not contains attributes, only DN in it's LDIF (yes,
DN is _not_ an attribute, sorry, that was my wrong specification).

I think - as Net::LDAP::LDIF can be used for conversions both from file
and memory-buffer - handling of such attribute-less objects should be a
good thing...

> The DN isn't an attribute of an entry that you can request. Kurt's drafted a
> schema extension which provides the DN in a special entryDN attribute - see
> draft-zeilenga-ldap-entrydn-02.txt. Of course not all servers support that
> draft yet.
>
> I think though that it is probably reasonable to put your patch in as is, as
> it is useful to be able to handle slightly non-conformant LDIF files.

Thanks, this helps me to remove my patched LDIF module from our project :)

> Cheers,
>
> Chris

Regards,

EdE