List:       perl-ldap-dev
Subject:    Re: extracting extended schema info from Active Directory
From:       Peter Marschall <peter () adpm ! de>
Date:       2006-12-03 10:34:52

Hi,

On Sunday, 3. December 2006 01:42, Eric Nichols wrote:
> I think I understand where you are coming from.  I didn't check the output
> close enough.  I didn't realize I was stepping on the original values,
> rather I need to append them..   Unfortunately this is how AD stores this
> extra information (seperate attribute).  They do not use X- anything in
> their attribute names.

Then you should ask them to do so and adhere to the standards.

> So this leaves rock and hard place.  If this were written correctly and the
> attributes merged rather than replaced, could this be added to the code or
> is this rejected summarily because it is non standard?

I prefer adhering to the standards.
They are documented and fully available to everyone (includeing MS)

I consider including non-standard extensions into Net::LDAP::Schema
dangerous for a few reasons:
- we have to make sure it does not interfere with all the other
  directory servers out there that adhere to the standard
- we have to do this with every other private extension as well
  This may lead to trouble in the long term.

> I don't want to pursue this if it's going to be rejected on principal
> rather than my shoddy coding....

Instead of mixing the non-standard-extensions into Net::LDAP::Schema
one solution might be to create a subclass Net::LDAP:Schema::ADS
specifically written for ADS and its non-standard extensions.
This way the standard code is not tainted by ADS extensions and
can work as before.
Someone with ADS can then load Net::LDAP:Schema::ADS instead of
Net::LDAP:Schema and all is well

Regards
Peter
--