List:       perl-ldap-dev
Subject:    Re: SVN perl-ldap: r441 - trunk/lib/Net/LDAP
From:       Peter Marschall <peter () adpm ! de>
Date:       2004-11-27 12:00:07

Hi Chris,

On Tuesday 23 November 2004 09:10, Chris Ridd wrote:
> On 21/11/04 6:02 pm, Peter Marschall <peter@adpm.de> wrote:
> > Do we need an option that changes the behaviour to the one the RFC
> > suggests ? (maybe alloptions => 0 i.e. defined but false ;-)))
>
> I don't know if the behaviour specified by that RFC should be considered
> correct or not. Have you looked at the latest ldapbis drafts to see if they
> clarify the use of attribute "sub-types"?

No, i haven't.

> > The problem leading to all this was that I wanted to have "ASCII-ified"
> > versions of attributes using an attribute option "x-ascii" in my
> > directory to make it easier to search the whole directory in an
> > environment with clients from countries in different character sets. I
> > wanted to know if I needed to change my existing Perl applications in
> > that case.
> > (It is hard to search for somebody called "Müller" in a web-based
> > directory application if you do not have the "ü" (= &uuml; in HTML) on
> > your keyboard or not even in your client's character set ;-)
>
> Can you not just store multiple values for cn?
>
> cn=Hans Muller
> cn=Hans Mueller
> cn=Hans Müller

Unfortunatley not, because I need to have a unique name.
While for searching it is O.K. to have multiple values in one attribute, it is
not when it comes to displaying the attribute.
Here I need a unique value.

BTW I crrently do not have a problem, because perl-ldap provides the
unique value in get_value() without alloptions and provides all values with
it.

Peter

--
Peter Marschall