List:       perl-ldap-dev
Subject:    Re: LDAP Authentication
From:       Marco Marongiu <bronto () tiscali ! com>
Date:       2004-11-24 8:54:56

Asu Vohra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a query regarding authentication to LDAP. This query might be
> a silly one as I have a very limited knowledge on LDAP. Is it true
> that all the users listed in the LDAP directory will be able to
> authenticate to LDAP?

Well, it depends. It depends on your authentication mechanism.

If your authentication mechanism is as simple as trying to bind to a
directory server and check for success/failure, then each and every user
that can authenticate on the directory server can also authenticate to
your services.

If your authentication mechanism needs also to do a search to check if
some requirements are met (like, e.g.:
(&(objectclass=person)(manager=myboss)), then you would probabily need
to authenticate as a search-enabled user and then perform a search. This
way only users that have some common characteristics can authenticate to
the service.

> Also, can anyone direct me to appropriate documents which can enhance
> my knowledge of LDAP?

Uhm... I am looking forward to hear other's replies! :-)))

Ciao
--bronto

--
Marco Marongiu                                Tiscali S.p.A.
System Engineer                               S.S. 195, km 2,300