List:       perl-ldap-dev
Subject:    Re: Search Filter too narrow.
From:       Peter Marschall <peter () adpm ! de>
Date:       2004-02-29 17:42:53

Hi,

On Saturday 28 February 2004 00:32, Tom Chang wrote:
> I have a problem with a simple search, but I can't find anything on the
> net about so I'm writing you.
>
> With my code, when I do a narrow search in the search filter, I can
> easily obtain results, but when I make the search filter for everthing
> (objectclass=*), it doesn't return anything.  I think it's because it's
> returning such a large return (approx 117,000 entries) that it's
> filling up ram.   Is this correct.  If so, how do get the search to
> print out an entry each time it finds one?

The fact of you not getting beck anything with large searches may have various
causes:
* you may have hit an administrative limit on the server (either time or size)
* you may have hit a memory limit in the client
* since your code does not check the result of the search() call there might
be other problems.

The first cause can be only cured by the server administrator.
The memory issue can be solved by either putting in more RAM into your client
or you may use callbacks for the search. See the callback parameter to the
Net::LDAP->search() method and the CALLBACKS section in the Net::LDAP
man page.

Peter

--
Peter Marschall