List:       perl-datetime
Subject:    Re: stand-alone month names via DateTime
From:       Dave Rolsky <autarch () urth ! org>
Date:       2009-07-02 17:11:47

On Thu, 2 Jul 2009, Vaclav Barta wrote:

>> Given that the stand-alone names are much less used, _and_ that they're
>> typically used for things like calendars, where you need to loop over them
>> anyway, I don't think it'd be that helpful to add an API to DateTime.pm
>> itself for them.
>
> Well, perhaps not, if the names are already available, but I still think using
> the format name as stand-alone in the synopsis of DateTime::Locale is
> misleading - formatting today's date would IMHO be a better example...

This only affects 43 (of which a bunch are variants of the same language)
out of 466 locales. In all the rest, the two forms are identical.

I don't want to complicate the SYNOPSIS for the benefit of a minority of
users. Folks who need to differentiate will either dig into the docs or
post here.

However, a patch for the DateTime.pm docs about the potential difference
in stand-alone vs format forms would be great.

-dave

http://VegGuide.org               http://blog.urth.org
Your guide to all that's veg      House Absolute(ly Pointless)