List:       perl-datetime
Subject:    Re: DateTime::Lite
From:       Daisuke Maki <daisuke () endeworks ! jp>
Date:       2008-11-25 2:11:26

> Isn't this just a test of load times? How could using methods vs
> functions make any difference to a module's load times?

ah, well, um, I was still waking up when I wrote the email?

> Yes, it makes sense that not creating all those namespaces would reduce
> memory usage.
>
> I'm a little leary of changing things now, since it'd be backwards
> incompatible. I wonder if anyone actually relies on those objects having
> a namespace that includes the time zone though.

As a programmer I'd say to hell with wasted memory, but as a product
manager, I'd say keep it in the current state until you come up with a
major upgrade (version 1.00, or something).

At this point I'd rather see DateTime as a possibly heavy, but reliable
reference point than to have its interface changed, so I can safely
recommend DateTime.pm to anybody, while sneaking things like DT::Lite as
a quick hack.

--d