List:       perl-datetime
Subject:    Re: Query related to TIMEZONE
From:       Rick Measham <rickm () isite ! net ! au>
Date:       2005-09-08 0:04:24

Reshma Shinde wrote:
> Hi,
>     I need to convert TIMEZONE GMT +/- offset to
> canonical name that is for example US/Arizona format.
> I need a perl module which takes input "GMT-7" or
> offset in seconds for the same and gives output
> "US/Arizona".
> Thanks and regards,
> -Reshma

G'day Reshma,

Unfortunately this is 100% impossible. There are many named zones that
share the same UTC offset and so you can't get any more detail from an
offset than the offset itself.

You *would* be able to loop over all the timezone in the database and
make a list of those with that offset on a particular date. (Remember
that offsets change through the year to account for DST as well)

Cheers!
Rick Measham