List:       perl-beginners
Subject:    Re: Database interface
From:       Simon Alfredsson <simon.alfredsson0044 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-02-06 16:56:12

On 5 feb 2013, at 10.32, David Precious wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Feb 2013 22:39:18 +0000
> Dermot <paikkos@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This will do what you want but alas I do not think it's really
> > suitable for a beginner.
> > http://search.cpan.org/~oliver/Catalyst-Plugin-AutoCRUD-2.123610/lib/Catalyst/Plugin/AutoCRUD.pm
> >

> And for Dancer, a similar option:
>
> https://metacpan.org/module/Dancer::Plugin::SimpleCRUD
>
> (Disclaimer: I wrote it, so consider me biased :) )
>

> Both will allow you to fairly easily provide an interface to
> list/search/create/edit/delete records in a database table via a web
> interface.
>

> --
> David Precious ("bigpresh") <davidp@preshweb.co.uk>
> http://www.preshweb.co.uk/     www.preshweb.co.uk/twitter
> www.preshweb.co.uk/linkedin    www.preshweb.co.uk/facebook
> www.preshweb.co.uk/cpan        www.preshweb.co.uk/github

Thank you for your answer, Dancer seems easy and fun. I would then deploy as \
standalone to interface to a local database? ( \
https://metacpan.org/module/Dancer::Deployment#Running-stand-alone )

By the way, I'm running Debian Squeeze, while my teacher runs Mac.

Today I got the specifications of the task (I am studying a course in database theory \
as part of a library science master), and what he wants (he wants it in made in \
FileMaker, while I would like to practice my Perl-fu (also FM is proprietary and \
silly)) is a small library database system, with the following functionality:

manage posts in the catalog (add, delete, update, search)
manage borrowers (as above)
manage lending (lending, returning, "who has the book")
implement two different user-views (librarian and user (security not important).

Would I be able to do this with Dancer, and how would I go about it? I've never \
written an application like this before.

Thanks for a great malinglist.