List:       perl-beginners
Subject:    Re: Trying to find perl logic
From:       Shlomi Fish <shlomif () shlomifish ! org>
Date:       2012-11-09 10:51:06

Hi Asad,

On Fri, 9 Nov 2012 13:02:18 +0530
Asad <asad.hasan2004@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All ,
>
>           I have a requirement in  Linux  environement to check for an
> application pre-requisites if  rpm's are installed or not .
>
>  Like rpm -qa --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}\n"
> compat-libstdc++-*
>
> rpm -q --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}\n" glibc-common-*
>
> Where glibc-common- and compat-libstdc++- are rpm's . And I have for this
> application to check 10 more rpm's in the list.
>
> The other complexity is these rpm's have major and minor numbers . So the
> rpm's should have minimum major number which would be in the list  of rpm's
> .Higher than that is ok .
>
> for example :compat-libstdc++-296-2.96-138  is minimum version(major number
> )  required for the application to run sucessfully .
>
> Any help in the right direction .

One option for you would be to parse the output of rpm -q --queryformat or rpm
-qa --queryformat. For doing this, look at:

* https://metacpan.org/release/IPC-Run

* https://metacpan.org/module/IPC::System::Simple

This functionality may also be provided by librpm (not sure about that) and
there are some rpm-related Perl wrappers for it on CPAN:

https://metacpan.org/search?q=rpm

Mageia Linux ships with perl-RPM2-1.0-5.mga3 and perl-RPM4-0.31-1.mga3 .

I sincerely hope all of this will help you.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish