List:       perl-beginners
Subject:    Re: Script for create a file name with Invalid characters in windows
From:       Shlomi Fish <shlomif () shlomifish ! org>
Date:       2012-11-02 14:31:45

Hi Bhanu,

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 18:49:58 +0530
bhanu chaitanya abbaraju <bhanu.chaitu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Can any one help me, how can we create a file name with invalid characters
> ('?','/') in windows. Generally, Windows OS can not allow to create a file
> name with invalid characters like '?,/' . But, I heard that we can able to
> do with Perl script. If any one know about this please let me know.

I just tried this script on my Windows XP Virtual machine:

[CODE]
#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;
use autodie;

open my $out, '>', 'foo?hello.txt';
print {$out} "Foobar\n";
close($out);

[/CODE]

It failed with an exception. The same script with the '?' in the filename
replaced by '-' worked fine. Why do you need to create such a filename? Is it
for cracking purposes? If you interested in using funny characters in the keys
of your data, then you should use a database of some sort:

http://perl-begin.org/uses/databases/

(Please reply to the list).

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish