List:       perl-beginners
Subject:    Re: Ten Years of Considerate Help
From:       Dermot <paikkos () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2011-05-31 17:13:20

On 30 May 2011 01:57, Casey West <casey@geeknest.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 12:59 AM, Casey West <casey@geeknest.com> wrote:
>

> I received three unsolicited recommendations for moderators to this list,
> one volunteer, and three unsolicited requests to deny moderatorship from
> some individuals. Some of these lists intersected one another. The response
> from those recommended to me was underwhelming or non-existant. Very few
> seem to be particularly keen for this task. This is not a very good
> response.
>
> Further, one member pointed out my lack of aggressively pursuing new
> leadership on this list, which is a valid and constructive criticism. In
> truth I lack the drive to seek out new, interested, and appropriately
> mindful moderators. Open source and open communities are built to adapt and
> self-heal when members come and go. Indeed, I have been away from this
> community for more than half a decade.
>
> I'm proud of what has been accomplished by this list and its members over
> the many, many years. I leave it in your hands to generate new and
> meaningful leadership in the void my absence has created. I'm confident you
> can, though it may take some work.
>
> Good luck, may the force be with you, and so on.

I'd like to put an idea out to see what the list thinks, what if Casey
asked for a moderator to take on the role for one year and then the
list hold an electon[1] in 12 months time for another moderator.

My reason for suggesting this is because I suspect that the lack of
enthusiastic responses may be because many of the more proficient
coders on the list are also busy with other commitments and don't
relish taking on another. I also wonder what level of proficiency the
moderator would need. There are several very proficient, regular
responders on the list as well as very proficient responders that dip
in from time to time. Does the moderator necessarily need to be highly
skilled with perl? Presumably being good with perl is required but
ensuring the points in the Administriva is the purpose of moderating.

Ultimately we need to allow Casey to move on, so a consensus of some
kind is needed.

[1] Terms to be decided.