List:       perl-beginners
Subject:    Re: Good Perl Books
From:       Brian Fraser <fraserbn () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-09-24 18:51:59

> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Francisco Valladolid <ficovh@gmail.com>wrote:

Hi.

> I think any perl book can be good!

I'm suddenly reminded of this slide:
http://mag-sol.com/talks/idiotic/text9.html

As a beginner myself, I was lucky enough to start with Learning Perl, 5th
edition, of which I have absolutely no complains and wish more people would
read. Afterwards, I moved on to Intermediate Perl and Programming Perl, 3rd
edition; Got a couple of chapters left in both, but I'd highly recommend
Intermediate Perl, even if only for the chapters on map, grep, sort, and
references; I've mostly skimmed over the Objects chapters, because, well,
Moose[0].
Programming Perl is a tad dated; It contains a huge amount of interesting
topics, but even as a starter Perler I could tell some of the advice was
better left ignored (objects, bareword filehandles, a couple of out-of-date
modules, and if I recall right, the threads section touched mostly 5.005
threads). It not bad at all (for instance, the section on the Tie modules
was a complete eyes-opener), but I wouldn't recommend it to a complete
beginner, or to someone who doesn't regularly read this mailing list, the
docs, or PerlMonks[1].

In-between, I've also started reading Minimal Perl for Unix People[2] and
the Perl Cookbook(also mentioned earlier..), 1st edition(..but probably the
2nd edition); Minimal Perl, as an initially Non-Unix person, actually helped
me in understanding grep and map, and introduced me to calling Perl from the
command line, which has since become quite essential at work - But I reserve
judgement until I actually read more than four chapters.
As for the cookbook, found it stashed away on the college library, and been
reading it on-and-off for a couple of weeks; I've very often considered
buying a copy, as the advice seems useful enough, although I can't vouch for
it's validity in more modern Perl.

Here's hoping this was mildly useful!

Brian.

[0]http://search.cpan.org/~drolsky/Moose-1.14/lib/Moose.pm