List:       perl-beginners
Subject:    Re: dereferencing
From:       Aaron Priven <aaron () priven ! com>
Date:       2007-10-30 5:21:30

On Oct 29, 2007, at 5:21 PM, Tom Phoenix wrote:
>  I don't think that what the original poster
> wants is even possible, but I can't see any reason to need it, either.

It's probably not necessary per se, as you can always do anything
using reference syntax, but it's awkward and requires lots of extra
dereferencing by the interpreter.

If %hash has a few thousand entries,

routine (%hash);

sub routine {
    my %myhash = @_;
}

is wasteful and timeconsuming, and I don't want to have to type lots
of extra arrows just because I passed the hash to a subroutine. And
now I don't have to. Yay.

--
Aaron Priven, aaron@priven.com, http://www.priven.com/aaron