List:       pen-test
Subject:    [Fwd: Re: password auditing]
From:       Per Thorsheim <putilutt () online ! no>
Date:       2009-11-17 15:05:36

Don't do it before you are prepared to handle the results!

1. Do NOT ask users with weak passwords to change their password (at
least don't let them know you know, cause they will get mad at you)

2. Before you do your audit, check if you can extract information such
as "password last set date/time" - statistics and a heatmap on those
data says a lot before you have to do an audit.

3. Check that you can implement and technically enforce complexity
requirements. A user with password7 will otherwise change to password8
next time - doesn't help security much.

4. Figure out what you should and actually can do by non-personal
accounts with bad passwords. It's not as easy as you think.

5. Depending on who your manager is, please ask him/her to verify all
legal aspects of doing such an audit, as well as internal
audit/compliance requirements. You'll probably get access to the
password of everyone in the executive staff, human relations, legal
departments etc. NOT the kind of data you wanna be held liable for if
something goes wrong!

6. Do the audit on an offline computer. Do the statistics, wipe the
source and output data from john. Store data on an encrypted volume from
the beginning.

Good luck!

Regards,
Per Thorsheim