List:       pen-test
Subject:    Re: JET sql help please anyone
From:       Bob Wright <wright () isoblock ! com>
Date:       2001-12-08 3:59:54

Tom Vandepoel sez:
At 11:03 PM 12/5/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Gary O'leary-Steele wrote:
>

>>various other errors occurred during the test such as
>>Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e14'
>>Invalid SQL statement; expected 'DELETE', 'INSERT', 'PROCEDURE', 'SELECT',
>>or 'UPDATE'.
>

>Ran into this myself a while ago.
>
>The reason you can't invoke shell() is probably because it's running in
>sandbox mode, which I think is the default in more recent versions. Tough luck.
>
>See: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q239482
>
>Tom.

I have not tried this myself, but MS has a utility named JetComp.exe which
is a free
download.  As the name implies, it's primary use is to compress Jet db files.
however, it will also repair corrupted Jet db files and will even open such
where they
are so hosed as to be inaccessible from ODBC or Access.   If I remember right,
the kicker is that it can apparently be used to repair password protected
files,
but in doing so removes the password protection....  And, in order to do
any of this
it obviously must have some intimate access (no pun intended) to the
database itself,
and it looks like it pulls the db over to poke at it.
hth