List:       pecl-dev
Subject:    [PECL-DEV] Req #61406 [Nab]: pecl search and pecl install are confusing with beta packages
From:       pajoye () php ! net
Date:       2012-03-15 22:47:25

Edit report at https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=61406&edit=1

 ID:                 61406
 Updated by:         pajoye@php.net
 Reported by:        ryanpessa at gmail dot com
 Type:               Feature/Change Request
 Package:            PECL
 Operating System:   Ubuntu Linux 11.10
 PHP Version:        5.4.0
 Block user comment: N
 Private report:     N

 New Comment:

If you like to propose new search or whatever else, then please report a feature
request or a bug at http://pear.php.net.

Thanks!

Previous Comments:
[2012-03-15 22:03:49] ryanpessa at gmail dot com

Yes, I realize that. Doesn't change the fact that 'search' shows a different version. \
If that is your recommended solution, then 'search' should show the non-beta version \
if you haven't set your preferred version to beta.

I think it's pretty rude of you to just close my 'Feature Request' with 'Not a bug' \
(I realize it's not a bug per-say, that's why I filed it as a feature request instead \
of a bug) telling me that I'm just doing it wrong. I'm trying to help by pointing out \
an inconsistency in the way that pecl operates. If you think that inconsistency \
should remain there, fine, but don't be rude about it.

[2012-03-15 21:42:11] pajoye@php.net

Set your preferred state to beta and it will do what you ask.

[2012-03-15 18:47:58] ryanpessa at gmail dot com

------------
I recently upgraded to PHP 5.4.0 and needed to reinstall the imagick library. When \
searching for the package, pecl informs me that there is one package available, \
version 3.1.0RC1 (beta). However, when I try to install, pecl grabs an older version \
(3.0.1), which is not listed in the search.

After some research, I found out that I needed to append '-beta' to the end of the \
package name in order to install the beta package. However, this is not a very \
intuitive system. If you need to specify that you specifically want to install the \
beta package, then the search results should specifically specify that there is more \
than one version available, which would clue the user in to the fact that they need \
to do something special to get the beta version. Just installing an unlisted version \
is confusing.

Test script:
---------------
pecl search imagick
sudo pecl install imagick

Expected result:
----------------
'search' shows both the stable and beta versions, cluing the user in to the fact that \
an extra step is required to install the beta. Or at the very least, the version \
'install' tries to grab should be the same as the version 'search' returns, one way \
or another.

Actual result:
ryan@ryan-laptop:/usr/lib/php5$ pecl search imagick
Retrieving data...0%
Matched packages, channel pecl.php.net:
Package Stable/(Latest) Local
imagick 3.1.0RC1 (beta)       Provides a wrapper to the ImageMagick library.

ryan@ryan-laptop:/usr/lib/php5$ sudo pecl install imagick
downloading imagick-3.0.1.tgz ...
Starting to download imagick-3.0.1.tgz (93,920 bytes)