List:       pecl-dev
Subject:    Re: [PECL-DEV] official dead pecl extensions
From:       Philip Olson <philip () roshambo ! org>
Date:       2010-02-25 19:33:24

On Feb 25, 2010, at 11:05 AM, Christopher Jones wrote:
> Philip Olson wrote:

> > > Hi Philip,
> > >
> > > What does the "tagging" actually do?  \
> > > http://docs.php.net/manual/en/book.classkit.php still exists and looks \
> > > unchanged.
> >
> > It's a subtle change [so far?] and only affects the Installation documentation. \
> > This was done while cleansing and unifying all of the PECL install documentation, \
> > which all link to their appropriate pecl.php.net page but many of the above \
> > extensions lack such a page.
> > Example: http://docs.php.net/manual/en/classkit.installation.php
> >
> > Regards,
> > Philip
> >

> Do you have a hierarchy of obsolescence plan, e.g
>
> - After 1 year / 1 major release add "unmaintained" to the existing doc
> - After 2 years etc move the doc pages to an appendix of obsolete extensions
> - After 3 years move the doc to the package's pecl page

Interesting. I have no plan but am hopeful that we all can do some brain storming \
together and come up with one for the remaining (and questionable) extensions, \
whatever those are. Sounds like you have a similar hope :)

Since many extensions work fine without much maintenance, it might be difficult to \
use defined times. However, considering time is a big indicator it should no doubt \
fit into the equation. And if a PECL extension does not compile with the latest \
branches (today being 5.2 and 5.3), nor want to, then this is a problem. Perhaps a \
PECL extension build farm could indicate this?

Also, moving documentation around too much means broken links and headaches. We could \
probably come up with a nice way to handle this though, but if done we should do only \
one move. But similar thoughts exist for dealing with PHP 4 specific stuff.

Regards,
Philip