List:       pecl-dev
Subject:    Re: [PHP-DEV] Re: PHP Extension authors - please join the PECL community
From:       "Wez Furlong" <wez () thebrainroom ! com>
Date:       2003-09-22 23:02:38

> Wez,
> Thanks for the note.  I don't see a pecl-dev list on the php subscription
> web site.  How do we subscribe?

Tucked away at the bottom of my announcement were the instructions:

To subscribe to the PECL developers mailing list, send email to:

   pecl-dev-subscribe@lists.php.net

We are working on a PECL specific web site, but need to iron a few things
out before announcing it officially - some time this week we hope.

> Would you suggest moving my (largely inactive) project
> php-tuxedo (php-tuxedo.sourceforge.net) into PECL?  I haven't
> made any updates to it in over a year.  There is still a lot of work
> to be done but just haven't found the time to get back to it.  I believe
> what's there is stable and useable, but I could use some configuration
> help.

Personally, I think sourceforge is becoming less usable these days as the
quantity of people using it increases, so I'd definitely host a php related
project using the php facilities over sourceforge any day.

As for your project - if its something that others could help you finish
up, its probably worth putting into our CVS, as it will probably die a slow
death lingering on sourceforge otherwise.

If your extension isn't totally dead (eg: it has some users), then you
probably should move it to PECL.

> If you suggest moving this project, anything I should consider?

You can download a tarball of your CVS from sourceforge, right?
You'd probably want to make it available to someone who has root access
to our CVS server and who would be prepared to tweak the module so that
it can live under PECL.  This way, you would preserve history.
If you're not interested in the past (live in the now!) you can just
import your latest release.

Lastly, and quite importantly, what license applies?
(please browse the pecl-dev archives on this matter - there aren't
many posts to read through).

--Wez.