List:       pear-general
Subject:    Re: [PEAR] Installing PEAR [was: PEAR DB, PostgreSQL and postmaster w/o -i]
From:       ssb () fast ! no (Stig =?iso-8859-1?q?S=E6ther?= Bakken)
Date:       2001-04-25 21:47:18

[Stephan Engelke <engelke@gmx.net>]
> Hi gang,
>
> first of all, I'd like to thanks oall those who responded to my
> question.
>
> > Please use the last PEAR CVS version (you can get instructions on how to
> > get them here: http://vulcanonet.com/soft/pear_tut/).
>
> I checked out the CVS version without problems, I just don't
> understand how to install just PEAR without recompiling the entire PHP
> module.  The INSTALL file in the CVS repository telle me to run
> phpize.  Unfortunately, phpize complains that it cannot find config.m4
> (obviously, since this file does not exist).
>
> I realize that this has probably been asked may times over, but I have
> not been able to find any instructions which are a little more
> elaborate on this topic.  Could some kind soul please point me into
> the right direction?  Just some documentation would be fine.

After running configure, do "make install-pear".  But if you do not
upgrade PHP itself as well you need to add a few lines in the
beginning of PEAR.php:

define('PHP_BINDIR', '/usr/local/bin');
define('PEAR_INSTALL_DIR', '/usr/local/lib/php');
define('PEAR_EXTENSION_DIR', '/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/20001222');

Adjust the paths accordingly if you are using a non-default --prefix,
or if you are using an older version than 4.0.4.

 - Stig

--
  Stig Sæther Bakken <ssb@fast.no>
  Fast Search & Transfer ASA, Trondheim, Norway