List:       pear-general
Subject:    RE: [PEAR] PEAR installation (on shared account)
From:       LIMBOURG Arnaud <arnaud.limbourg () cegetel ! fr>
Date:       2002-10-25 15:31:45

Hello,

Since PEAR classes are just php code there is no need to compile anything.

There are several ways to use pear in shared environment, i'll try to do a
sum-up here:

1. supposing you have access to ini_set() function what you can do is just
create a directory in your tree which will contain pear
(/path/to/your/account/pear for example). You just then do a
ini_set('your/path:/path/to/your/account/pear). This is not very common for
ISP to give access to ini_set though.

2. Some ISP provide a default include path (e.g: on my account i have a
/my/account/includes). So I just have to drop PEAR files in this directory
and use them (e.g: require_once 'PEAR.php', require_once
'HTML/Javascript.php')

3.You do not have on the two previous solutions. That becomes tricky as PEAR
classes expect pear to be in the include path. What you can do though is to
change the requires statement in the classes to reflect your configuration.
If you use a lot of packages that might become messy.

I see these three ways but there may others i did nit think of.

Arnaud.