List:       pear-doc
Subject:    [PEAR-DOC] [PEAR-BUG] Req #7766 [NEW]: Reference to '1TBS' confusing
From:       "dominics at gmail dot com" <pear-doc () lists ! php ! net>
Date:       2006-05-31 3:29:53

From:             dominics at gmail dot com
Operating system:
Package version:
PHP version:      Irrelevant
Package:          Documentation
Bug Type:         Feature/Change Request
Bug description:  Reference to '1TBS' confusing

------------
http://pear.php.net/manual/en/standards.funcdef.php makes a reference to
the 'One True Brace Style'. I think this reference is at best confusing
and at worst contradictory to the example given.

What I mean is that in every non-PHP resource I've been able to find, 1TBS
refers to the style used by Kernighan and Ritchie ('K&R' style) - this is
the style the Unix kernels are written in ('Kernel' style).

The style used by PEAR would be commonly known as the 'BSD' or 'Allman'
style.

I'm not looking to start a holy war about brace style. I do, however,
think that we should be clear about exactly which brace style PEAR uses,
and, regardless of what 1TBS is understood to stand for, it is an
ambiguous term - it means a different thing to someone coming from C.

Wikipedia is a good reference for the indent style terminology listed
above: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_True_Brace

Expected result:
 Function declarations follow the 'BSD' or 'Allman' convention:

Actual result: