List:       pear-doc
Subject:    Re: [PEAR-DOC] Manual Installation - dropped? invalid? or good to
From:       Greg Beaver <cellog () php ! net>
Date:       2004-11-28 21:01:31

Jim Tom Polk wrote:
> Greg Beaver wrote:
>
>> Basically, the way it works is you get a config file up to your host
>> (pear create-config /path/to/home/pear pear.ini, then upload it), and
>> then setup a new local copy of PEAR to mirror what you want online, as
>> you used to do.  However, for this local copy, create a new
>> configuration and set your remote config
>>
>> $ pear config-set remote_config ftp://user:pass@ftp.yourhost.com/pear.ini
>>
>> Then, when you do
>>
>> $ pear install blah
>>
>> it will install both locally and using Net_FTP, it will upload all of
>> the files to the remote location.  uninstall also works.
>

> I think that I have died and gone to heaven. So all that someone has to
> do for Windows is download and install PHP, then run the commands to
> have two mirror copies of the PEAR installation, checking off the
> capabilities on the remote server as it mirrors?

Very important: all that someone *will* have to do.  The code is not
vaporware, but it is not yet released, as I am doing exhaustive
regression tests first.

It's slightly more complex.  What you need to do is this:

C:\path\to\someotherpear> pear config-create -w C:\path\to\someotherpear
C:\path\to\someotherpear.ini

C:\path\to\someotherpear> pear -c someotherpear.ini config-set
remote_config ftp://user:pass@ftp.yourhost.com/pear.ini

C:\path\to\someotherpear> pear config-create /path/to/remotepear pear.ini

then upload pear.ini to ftp.yourhost.com in the root dir as pear.ini

finally, you can do:

C:\> pear -c \path\to\someotherpear\someotherpear.ini install -a LiveUser

and it will download and install LiveUser and all its dependencies both
locally and remotely.

>> Advantages:
>> 1) full dependency resolution
>> 2) valid replacements are always performed
>> 3) uninstall/install automatically upload/delete files
>> 4) far less potential for error in the manual config for complex packages
>>
>> Disadvantages:
>> 1) you have to either pass in the ftp config as a command-line option
>> or store it in your local config file
>> 2) not much else :)
>>

> The big thing is that it will by pass the safe_mode, base_dir directives
> that so plague the web installer. If you have the right environment, the
> web installer is great, but if not, it is quite discouraging.

Exactly, this is why I coded this solution.

> I think one of the most important things is that there be one way that
> will work to install the libs onto the server, instead of the multitude
> of methods depending on the server setup that are currently outlined in
> the docs. I think the other methods are necessary for the docs, but I've
> had people look at having to choose, and being complete novices, don't
> understand the lingo, and give up before they begin - and off they go to
> download a lib that all you do is unpack and upload.
>
> For some reason, the perception is that a PEAR install could be
> dangerous to the server. Do NOT ask me why, I'm only relating one of the
> more often mentioned objections to installing PEAR.

Probably because the web installer requires a world-writeable dir to work.

> And personally, as I tried to write up some documentation on how to
> install it, I would test on one type of server and it would work, then
> fail on the other two types, then get it working on the other two types,
> but then fail on the first one, etc.

icky.

Greg