List:       pear-doc
Subject:    [PEAR-DOC] [PEAR-BUG] Req #1998 [WFx]: please include this example in the online documentation
From:       danielc () analysisandsolutions ! com
Date:       2004-07-30 18:35:14

Edit report at http://pear.php.net/bugs/bug.php?id=1998&edit=1

 ID:          1998
 Updated by:  danielc@analysisandsolutions.com
 Reported By: jon at latchkey dot com
 Type:        Feature/Change Request
 Package:     Documentation
 PHP Version: Irrelevant
 Assigned To: danielc
 New Comment:

While the documentation at
http://pear.php.net/manual/en/package.database.db.db-common.getassoc.php
is complex because it covers all of the potential options, it does
indeed clearly cover all of the options.

The text in the getAssoc() docblock doesn't go into that level of
detail.

If you feel you can clarify the existing documentation, keeping in mind
that it must use one result set and cover all of the potential options,
please provide a unified diff against
http://cvs.php.net/peardoc/en/package/database/db/db-common/getassoc.xml

Previous Comments:

[2004-07-30 14:06:55] jon at latchkey dot com

I'm curious why you would refuse (with a WONT FIX) to add examples to
the online documentation to make things more clear.

[2004-07-30 14:03:20] danielc at analysisandsolutions dot com

Sorry about the mistaken DB_FETCHMODE_ASSOC comment.

The getAssoc() documentation provides real world examples of how a
given result set would come out using each option.  The suggested
wording doesn't perform that task.

[Note: The bug was originally submitted with the summary of
"DB_FETCHMODE_PRIMARY_KEY," which was a PEAR::DB feature request.  The
user then changed subject to "please include this example in the online
documentation."  I'm now changing the Pakcage to "Documentation."]

[2004-07-30 13:36:38] jon at latchkey dot com

Ah ha! it is getAssoc() that does the trick.

The online documentation for getAssoc() is far more confusing than the
phpdoc documentation in the code.

     * For example, if the table "mytable" contains:
     *
     * <pre>
     *  ID      TEXT       DATE
     * --------------------------------
     *  1       'one'      944679408
     *  2       'two'      944679408
     *  3       'three'    944679408
     * </pre>
     *
     * Then the call getAssoc('SELECT id,text FROM mytable') returns:
     * <pre>
     *   array(
     *     '1' => 'one',
     *     '2' => 'two',
     *     '3' => 'three',
     *   )
     * </pre>
     *
     * ...while the call getAssoc('SELECT id,text,date FROM mytable')
returns:
     * <pre>
     *   array(
     *     '1' => array('one', '944679408'),
     *     '2' => array('two', '944679408'),
     *     '3' => array('three', '944679408')
     *   )
     * </pre>

[2004-07-30 13:27:27] jon at latchkey dot com

By the way, if you are willing to accept the patch, I will even write
the code for you. Just let me know.

[2004-07-30 13:10:32] jon at latchkey dot com

Hi Daniel,

Please actually read what I write and we will stop wasting each others
time.

According to the documentation, it says:

DB_FETCHMODE_ASSOC

Array
(
   [a] => 28
   [b] => hi
)

That is the 'COLUMN NAME' as the array key.

I'm specifically asking for the 'PRIMARY KEY VALUE' to be the array
key.

jon

    http://pear.php.net/bugs/bug.php?id=1998

--