List:       pear-doc
Subject:    Re: [PHP-DEV] Re: Modules/Extensions not in 4.3
From:       Wez Furlong <wez () thebrainroom ! com>
Date:       2002-11-29 12:21:00

IMO, the manual should include all of the "maintstream" PHP extensions.
The reasoning is that if someone downloads the PHP manual, they expect
to get the PHP manual and not have to hunt around for docs on extensions
X, Y, Z.

Remember that one of our goals is to move most of ext/* into PECL, but
still bundle these pickled extensions in our official release packages,
so the idea that PECL should be documented under PEAR is not such a good
one.

Again, IMO, the madness of having no less than 3 different docu systems
(phpdoc, peardoc and peardoc2) makes very little sense; why not just use
"one system (tm)" for docs? (let's save some developer brain power for
more useful things).

So, what I'd like to see (and this seems reasonable, IMO) is:

o One doc download for the PHP core + bundled extensions (which may
reside in PECL).
o One doc download for the PEAR classes + non-bundled PECL extensions
o One doc download for extension developers (the streams and zend API
stuff needs a proper home).
o One doc system to rule them all (but keep it modular of course).

--Wez.