List:       pear-dev
Subject:    Re: [PEAR-DEV] candidates for PEAR Group: why should we vote for you?
From:       Brett Bieber <brett.bieber () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-06-25 15:41:43

Hi Greg,

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Greg Beaver<greg@chiaraquartet.net> wrote:
> In addition, I feel it is only appropriate that the existing PEAR Group
> members and PEAR president who are running for re-election provide a
> more thorough accounting of what they have been doing in the past year.

> The existing PEAR Group has been unable to formulate a complete coding
> standard for PEAR2 (the first draft was approved and put in the manual
> on Dec. 24, 2007, and expired on March 1, 2008, and was never renewed).

You're right on providing a 'complete coding standard' — there are
three RFCs awaiting a vote from the group — but, an extension of the
standards was approved as noted in the 20080713 meeting minutes.

It appears the updated date was never moved to the wiki.php.net page
though, and they are in danger of expiring again.

> All I ask is that each
> current candidate give us a description of where you stand on issues
> that are important to PEAR developers such as the new proposed coding
> standard, how PEAR2 should move forward, and related issues.

This is certainly an appropriate request, and I've taken some time to
formulate my response.  :-)

First, my actions on PEAR group:

For the past year I've served as the secretary for the group, taking
the minutes for all group meetings I was able to attend; which, is
every meeting documented at
http://wiki.php.net/pear/group/meetingagenda

Over the past year I've attended two PHP conferences, PHP Appalachia,
and PHP|tek where I was happy to represent PEAR and share information
about the project.

At Appalachia I presented a talk on PEAR2 and SimpleChannelServer, and
at PHP|tek '09 I ran the PEAR2 hackathon and gave away some
pear2/pyrus t-shirts to everyone that attended the hackathon.
http://yfrog.com/67x5dj

I'm also the author of the PEAR2 Exception RFC at
http://wiki.php.net/pear/rfc/pear2_exception_policy which served as
the basis for the exception policy of the hotly contested, self-titled
"PHP Standards group," where I also served as the secretary to
document the meeting. http://news.php.net/php.standards/2

I've also participated in the coding for PEAR2, including Pyrus,
SimpleChannelServer, and a start on a new website for pear2.php.net,
and I've contributed to the Chiara_PEAR_Server package.

In addition to my work on the installer and channel related packages,
I am a proponent of PEAR at the institution where I work, I
participate in discussions related to my areas of expertise on the
#PEAR IRC channel, and I have assisted other groups in deploying pear
channels — most recently the doc.php.net pear channel.

My position on the proposed standards:
There are three RFCs awaiting a vote of the Group - exceptions,
namespace standards, and class naming policy.

The two I would approve immediately are the exception and class naming policies.

The namespace issue is something that should require more thought, and
I dare say was the RFC that brought the current PEAR group to a
standstill. I believe the namespace policy has been weighing heavily
on every member of the group's mind for the past few months as it has
the potential to drastically change the future of package
distribution. I myself have been waiting for enlightenment on the
issue, but nothing has revealed itself yet. I believe the group has a
responsibility to carefully consider all the options, and come to a
popular decision once everyone has been educated on all the details.
The move to expand the PEAR Group's discussion to include other
framework leaders is a very good thing, given the implications for
adoption of PEAR/Pyrus as a distribution mechanism. I believe we need
to continue discussions with the leaders of PHP projects, internal and
external, and come to an educated decision on this issue.

To the future -
I'm very interested in helping PEAR2 get off to a good start, and I'm
a big proponent of using PEAR packages and channels as a distribution
mechanism for php applications and libraries.
I'd be happy to serve on the PEAR Group for another term if given the
opportunity.

Regardless of whether I am elected or not, my priorities are:
* Getting a stable version of pyrus out there with 5.3.
* Encouraging the adoption of PEAR's distribution architecture.
* Building the PEAR2 repository reputation.
* Recruiting talented developers to put their php code into
packages—no matter what channel they're hosted on.

Thank you,

--
Brett Bieber