List:       pear-dev
Subject:    Re: [PEAR-DEV] New Pepr link type detection is too strict
From:       Justin Patrin <papercrane () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-06-26 22:40:02

On 6/26/05, Sergio Carvalho <sergio.carvalho@portugalmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was changing the XML_RPC2 status to 'Call for votes' and was greeted
> with errors in the link types for the tgz and phps links: "The required
> link type and the URL do not match!".
>
> Pepr validation code is being too strict. The respective links are:
>  http://pear.sergiocarvalho.com/XML_RPC2 (tgz file)
> and
>  http://pear.sergiocarvalho.com/source/XML_RPC2-0.0.3/XML/RPC2 (phps)
>
> I can understand the check on the tgz file, as my webserver is returning
> a text/plain mime-type (erroneusly). I'd prefer linking the the package
> name only, so people can install with:
>  pear install http://pear.sergiocarvalho.com/XML_RPC2
> as there is no reason pear must use only tgz as the package format; even
> if it does use tgz, the URL can and should be agnostic to the format.
> The resource being pointed to is the XML_RPC2 package.
>
> What I can't understand is how linking to an index of phps files can be
> considered wrong. The package is not composed of one single file. To
> link correctly to the package source, I must link to the index of all
> sources, not to one specific file.

I responded to the original thread about this but got no responses.
I'll say it again here, the URL itself *should not* be checked. The
filename is not important in the least. What's important is that the
correct link types are selected. The URL can be checked to make sure
it's a real URL (minimal regex) and that it doesn't return a 404
header, but that's it. Any filename / extension should be allowed, In
the case where the URL type doesn't match the URL posted the QA group
can step in.

--
Justin Patrin