List:       pear-dev
Subject:    [PEAR-DEV] Re: [PEPr] Comment on Tools and Utilities::Util_Checksum
From:       Carsten Lucke <carsten () tool-garage ! de>
Date:       2004-09-25 22:32:28

Hi!

First, I hope this mail doesn't appear twice. I had some problems with
the list's automoderator.

Martin Jansen wrote:
 > If the package can perform the generation of e.g. ISBN numbers, then
 > the package name is misleading.
Well, regarding the package name, I am not entirely sure, if that's the
final and best one. I thought that together we could find a better name.

 > And we already have the Validate package that
 > can be utilized for validation tasks.  It would be great if your code
 > made use of this.
You're right. My package contains validation stuff and Validate even
knows how to validate ISBN numbers etc.

Let me go back into history a bit. I needed a class to generate and
validate license-numbers of german identity-cards. The license-number is
generated using name-, birth- and license expiration-information.
Validation is simpler and doesn't need any additional data.

Soon I imagined more tasks that could be solved in the same way and so I
decided to build the whole thing more generic using drivers, that do the
generation/validation part and let a driver-baseclass do some basic
checks on the given credential, so that I wouldn't be forced to do those
checks in each driver again and again.

The ISBN-number generation/validation is just another thing I
implemented to have some example-drivers. For example someone could also
use this framework to generate/validate serial numbers for non-free
software (I guess no one would share his driver ;-)) based on a person's
first- and lastname.

In short words that means, that it just seemed useful to me to have
both, generation and validation together in one class/driver together
with a generic checking of required information.

Regards,
Carsten